Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux (resent after bounce

Feuer (feuer@his.com)
Sun, 04 Oct 1998 01:06:42 -0400

Hans Reiser wrote:

> In the longterm for reiserfs I want to implement dynamic stat data
> with arbitrary fields and arbitrary lengths to them.  I also want the
> nterface to them to be via /, as in /etc/lilo.conf/modtime.
> I want stat data to be inheritable from the parent, so that I can
> break passwd into lots of little files, and then I can reference
> /etc/passwd/reiser/shell/modtime, and get the time that reiser
> modified his shell to be  /usr/bin/fortune.
>
> Hans

This sounds very nice.  I'm guessing you could design this so it could be used in an object-oriented way.  Ah!  I got it (I think).  You can have classes of files.  These classes will have certain "subfiles".  So a might have
balloon.gif/colordepth
or
john.doc/language.

But the cool thing would be
joe.txt/search,
where search is a member function of the textfile class.  Here of course is the trouble.  How do you get multiuser capability?  Grumble.

David Feuer