Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Tim Smith (tzs@tzs.net)
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 22:00:37 -0700 (PDT)

On 4 Oct 1998 heath@ofb.net wrote:
> I really wish when you quoted people, you would also cite them. I'd
> love to look up the original post you quote below (it seems to imply
> some pretty galling behavior on the part of Be), but I have no idea

That was my post. Here's a URL to the page at Be that tells you where
to download a copy of the Linux 3c509 driver for use with BeOS:

http://www.be.com/beware/Drivers/3c509.html

Here's the README, to give an idea of what they are doing:

====================== CUT HERE ===================================
To build the driver i used the wrapper from Be Inc for the
3com 9xx Ethernetcards.

=========== Be Inc README =============
This directory contains a copy of the Linux 3c509 driver
for the 3COM 3C-509 series of cards. You can cd to the
3c509 directory, type make and get a driver. If you fix
bugs or make the driver better, please let michael@augusta.de
know about it!

The original source is pretty much unmodified but it uses
a wrapper library that emulates the functions called by
Linux ethernet drivers. The library is complete enough to
compile this driver but may not be sufficient for other
drivers.
=================================

How to compile the driver

In the library the compiled driver is also included. You don't have to
compile it. You can use the 3c509/3c509 file.

If you want to compile the driver you have to do the following steps:
1. make a link from _KERNEL_.LIB in your /boot/develop/lib/x86/
to _KERNEL_ int the 3c509 folder
2. Start a Terminal and cd to the 3c509 folder
3. Type "make" to start the compiling

=================================
How to install the driver:

1. copy the driver (3c509) into the folder /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers
2. start preferences -> network
3. use the 3c503 (!) line and add this driver.
4. fill in the correct TCP/IP number and save the network (don't restart it)
5. load /boot/home/config/settings/network into an editor (eg. StyleEdit)
6. type in the correct values for your card:
DEVICEPORT, DEVICEIRQ, DEVICELINK and DEVICEMEM
you can look at the file network in the archiv for the correct values for my card.
7 Restart networking and

voila..... it should work!