Re: Linus is on a powertrip..

Fri, 2 Oct 1998 20:34:23 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>:
> > It is really a pity that the most popular free UNIX is so chaotic, and
> > it's only becoming worse. Please don't misunderstand me: I'm not
> > trying to pursuade anyone into FreeBSD, but I just wish that the most
> > important free UNIX (which is Linux at the moment) would be more
> > coherent and better organized.
>
> Chaos and openness are Linux's *strengths*. You have the causality backwards;
> Linux is "the most important free Unix" precisely because it does *not*
> follow the model you describe.

You claim is just stupid in my opinion. Linux success does not imply that
Linux development model has been the best possible one and certainly not
that it has been better than the FreeBSD one. There are TONS of other
possible explanations not related to the Linus's open-patching model that
are as candidate as your claim to explain Linux success. The only thing
that is certainly true is that the Linux development model hasn't been bad
enough to kill Linux success.

Anyway, the recent events on this list and the difficulties to go to 2.2
seems to indicate that the current Linux development model needs to be
improved a lot.

An organization 'a la' FreeBSD using a CVS repository and committers would
be far better than the current one, in my opinion, in order to deal with
the new dimensions of Linux. Linus wants something different and I trust
him to take its decision in time. If I did'nt trust him for that, I would
have given up Linux a long time ago.

I am on this list since more than 3 years. I know exactly Linus's position
against CVS, that obviously is not mine. CVS is well maintained and widely
used and it is probably the pragmatic approach. Linus wanted something
like a CVS++ or ++CVS. Such a tool has been sometimes discussed during the
last 2 years at the kernel list and my observations let me think that
Linus was expecting this tool (that had been promised) to be available at
the time the Linux project will need it.

My opinion is that Linus is quite aware (and victim) of the current Linux
development model problems and I would not be surprised if he would
announce an important decision on this topic for 2.3.
But for now, the issue it to complete 2.2 and it is to early for 2.3 and
to late for 2.2 to change things now.

So, I think that the only reasonnable thing to do about this topic at the
moment is to shut down this thread and to help for 2.2 to be available as
soon as possible.

Regards,
Gerard.