Re: Ethernet Timeouts, 3c509 & SMP 2.1.123

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 19:05:59 +0300 (EEST)

"Nicholas J. Leon" <nicholas@binary9.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> # > There is a bug in the drivers, but no one believed me even though I
> # > thought I could prove it.
> #
> # Another possibility is a bug in the 3c509 chip, for which the driver has no
> # workaround.
>
> That is true. But the people whom I was communicating with didn't bother
> commenting on such a beast. ... Plus, and I _hate_ to say this, but
> both my 3c905's and 3c509's work just hunky dory in the 100+ win95 boxes
> that I manage :)

(this thread was about 'Tx timeout' errors from 3c59x driver)

Well, I did notice far more harmfull errors than Tx timeouts
in 3c95x.c version 0.99G driver (and earlier, no doubt), which
can (and did!) result Oopses within the interrupt processing.

Now that I have a patch for those Oopses, perhaps I can have
a look at the Tx timeouts (not that I have any documentation
for the cards..) I do see those Tx timeouts at about 10-30
ppm of the packets I send. The weird part is that I see
them at a dedicated and hard configured full-duplex point-to-
point cat5 cross-over 100BaseTx cable in between two 3c905B
cards. The transmitter is hammering at a bit over 5000 packets
per second all day in and out for days... (A ping-responder
to a 'ping -f -s 128')

Of course, Win* boxed never indicate that they have any problems
with the cards, while Linux drivers do indicate those...