Re: showstopper race condition in sync() ??? [2.1.119|120]

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:23:47 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 08:24:27 +0200 (MET DST), Cyrille Chepelov
<chepelov@rip.ens-cachan.fr> said:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>> This is a sign that an IO has got stuck in the kernel's block device
>> buffer cache. Given that the problem is in the sync(), it is most
>> likely to be that a write to the password file or lock file itself
>> which is causing the problem.

> But then, why on a write to _this_ file only ? (actually, since my
> original post, I reproduced it while adding quota to the /var/spool/mail
> partition. The machine locked after the first (manual) "quotacheck" (but
> doesn't during reboots)).

Because _this_ file is the one which is occupying the problematic
sectors, I imagine. One thing you could do is to rename the password
file and then copy it back, so that you are now using a different area
of the disk.

--Stephen