Re: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:25:04 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, mdavies wrote:

> How about portable recordable Minidisk?
>
> Although there is an optical input there is only analogue out.
>
> I would really like to know how much you could fit on one using
> an analogue only recording scheme.

Minidisc is nasty because it uses MPEG-1 to compress the data before
storing it on disc. There typically isn't anyway to bypass the audio
encoding algorithm and get directly to the disc so this makes things
incomprehensibly difficult.

I'd imagine the storage wouldn't be phenomenal, either. You'd likely
be much better off with a ZIP.