Re: Audio-tape-backup

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:00:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Ian Stirling wrote:

> Well, Take a 33K6 modem as an example.
>
> Tape has around 4* the bandwidth, two channels, and less noise.
> So, 16Kb/sec is doable easily, leading to around 100Mb.
>
> If you use the extra range, for error correctio, this should work
> quite well.
>
> Now, the interesting question to me, is, how well would this work with
> minidisk :)

No, Minidisk is compressed to ~128Kbit/s (perhaps 192?) using a very mp3
like perceptual codec. (btw- the minidisk cart is about 100megs)

As for tape vs phone: the telephone doesn't exibit the 'dopplar shift'
like distorton of tape. I imagine that modem type modulation wont work
well on tape at all.. PSK or QAM might be more okay.