Re: egcs-1.1 (was 2.0.36-pre9

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:27:47 -0700

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:02:13 +1200
From: Chris Wedgwood <chris@cybernet.co.nz>

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 04:12:09PM -0400, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Garst R. Reese wrote:
>
> > Try compiling some C++ apps like LyX-12.1pre8 with egcs-1.1. It seems
> > rather badly broken.
>
> Are you using glibc-2.0.94/95?

egcs is broken for C++ in some ways - its been discussed elsewhere,
on redhat-axp for example.

Its not a libc issue, egcs just dumps core or produces a horrible
mess.

Some of these are Alpha specific problems, in other cases it is often
bugs in the c++ code itself which g++ used to silently allow, but now
with how closely egcs follows the ANSI c++ standard (much closer than
any commercial offering I know of) you will often witness c++ code
which needs to be cleaned up.

And btw, broken egcs c++ issues aren't going to make as much headway
to get fixed if discussed only on redhat-axp, I'd take it also to one
of the egcs lists where the maintainers are more likely to be
listening :-)

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com