Re: Getting ppp to work under kernel 2.1.120

Bruce A. Locke (locke98@cs.newpaltz.edu)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:01:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, David Woodhouse wrote:

> wes@sophia.colorado.edu said:
> > I can't seem to get ppp to work under 2.1.120. It calls the number,
> > connects, but dies when it tries to establish the ppp connection.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> devel2 /usr/src/linux/Documentation # grep -ni ppp Changes
> 63:- PPP 2.3.5 ; pppd -v
> 276:PPP
> 279: Due to changes in the routing code, those of you using PPP
> 280:networking will need to upgrade your pppd.
> 458:PPP
> 462:ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/ppp-2.3.5.tar.gz

Just a reminder: there are known problems involving ppp and its compression.
For instance because of these problems I cannot connect to a certain
bay networks terminal server(?).

Upgrade to ppp 2.3.5. If the problem persists and the log files keep saying
LCP timeouts, there is nothing you can do but wait. According to one of the
PPP guys it is a known problem (not sure if they found the cause yet) and
they are working on a patch.

BTW, the PPP changes that introduced this problem were included in 2.1.109.

Again this is probably not the cause of the problem of the person who began
this thread (too little information to even take a guess) but I thought it
needed reminding to stop the "PPP is 100% A-ok" theme that I keep seeing on
here.

Just a thought...

-- Bruce A. Locke