Re: Walking the module list..

carguin@iname.com
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:13:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Trevor Johnson wrote:

> > My idea for 'lsmod -v' would be to list out each process that is using the
> > module:
> >
> > Module Size Used by PID
> > binfmt_aout 3776 1 (autoclean) 495
> > af_packet 5816 1 (autoclean) 477
> > unix 9648 21 (autoclean) 241 242 243 244 245 246
> >
> > Those extra numbers representing the PID of the process using those modules.
>
> There wouldn't always be a process. For instance, a file system that's
> mounted but not being used, or a network interface that's up but unused,
> could cause several modules to be loaded.

This is true, but as somebody who has wanted this feature a few times
myself, I think it could still work. It would be a lot like the module
dependencies, like in:

binfmt_aout 3776 1 (autoclean) <495>
st 22084 0 (unused)
vfat 13740 3 (autoclean) <kernel>
fat 24352 3 (autoclean) [vfat]

Or else you just indicate that 1 thing is using the module, but don't give
a PID since there isn't one.

--
Chris Arguin                 | "...All we had were Zeros and Ones -- And
CArguin@iname.com            |  sometimes we didn't even have Ones."