Re: [NOT OFFTOPIC] Re: groups

Thomas Wouters (thomas@xs4all.net)
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 15:25:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Meelis Roos wrote:

> Can they (in unix user-group-other world)?
> Suppose I want to have rw- rights myself, rw- to group a, r-- to group b
> and nothig to the others. Multiple groups will not solve that case.

You can go a long way with unix groups, but you have to tailor your
directory/files layout to it. Take the above example. If the file you want
to share is /usr/share/sharemenow/test, you can make test 664, group a, and
sharemenow 750, group 'c', which is group a+b.

Yes, you can't have a file in the same directory which needs to be accessible
to yet another group of users. Yes, it means you have to tailor your tree
layout to suit your group-needs, and you might occasionally need to change
it, but you can catch most such changes with symlinks (/usr/share/test ->
/usr/share/sharemenow/test). You can even create an entire tree of symlinks
to have the directory layout you desire, and still have the
multiple-group-based security you need. If you have complex needs, a nice
group/symlink management utility would be nifty, but it shouldn't be too
hard to make.

Sounds like a userspace solution to me ;-)