Re: 2.1.110 and newer, SB AWE64

Mon, 7 Sep 1998 09:47:18 +0100

On Sun, Sep 06, 1998 at 08:00:10PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> 1. VIA VPx motherboards - apparently hardware is crap ?

> Anyway. Folks with VIA VPx chipsets. Can you try defining
>
> #define HAVE_REALLY_SLOW_DMA_CONTROLLER

As another point on the graph, let me point out I have a VIA VP2
based board and I do *not* have these problems.

I'm listening to a big .wav playing right now on my genuine SB16, while
my Quantum hard disk is nattering away with DMA to my emacs (and
wavplay). If I leave the room for a while the APM BIOS will shut down
everything including spinning down the disk. The audio will stop
because it's wavplay not a CD player ;-) Then I'll come back, hit shift
and everything will come back. I don't expect any lockups.

However, I have in the past had lockups related to DMA, with kernels
2.1.x only. They only happen if I don't do hdparm -X34 early on, and
they take a few days to arise (usually). I don't need to use floppy or
sound to get those lockups.

These days, I am happy with my (touch wood) reliable and fast VP2-based
board. So there.

-- Jamie