Re: memory management and the status of

Mon, 7 Sep 1998 09:34:55 +0100

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 11:44:44AM +1200, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> Consider the case of a large Oracle database that is used between 9am
> and 5pm. After 5pm, its fairly quiet, and the kernel starts migrating
> pages to disk... come the next morning, the database might initially
> be fairly sluggish as the kernel will have to page in plenty when the
> database gets busy....

If its fairly quiet, those pages should remain in the swap cache. I.e.,
they're written to disk but a copy remains in memory in case they're
needed again. There's page faulting overhead for a bit in the morning,
but very little waiting for disk I/O.

On the other hand, if the pages are needed for something else in the
meantime, they can now be dumped quickly from the swap cache.

Best of both worlds, surely :-)

-- Jamie