Re: 2.1.110 and newer, SB AWE64

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 17:17:25 -0400 (EWT)

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> 1. VIA VPx motherboards - apparently hardware is crap ?
> 2. A few SMP machines (non VIA chipset)
>
> The second case is weird and I still don't understand its cause. Its
> as if the DMA functions for a given channel is getting messed with twice
> at the same time or something

Me too. Did you not see my posting earlier this weekend about it? I still
get a solid lockup even with the patch (disable_dma() & enable_dma()). I'm
now wondering what next to do.

I don't know whart sort of a motherboard I have - I will have to do some
research, but basically it's a no-name generic i486 motherboard that's
supposedly for 486s up to DX4/120. Also has VLB implemented.

All I can say.. this SUCKS! :o) No reflection upon all of you hard-working
linux kernel developers though..

I thought at first, that it could be that the DMA implementation on my
motherboard sucks my left nut, then realised if that was the case I'd be
getting solid lockups all the time, but this only happens if I use the
soundcard. [Ideally, how about developing some DMA test code that can
detect whether a motherboard's DMA sucks or not, and set some kernel
flags?]

Cheers,
Alex

--