Re: 2.1.120 broken on P5 SMP machines + fix

Thomas Bogendoerfer (tsbogend@alpha.franken.de)
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 22:10:37 +0200

On Sun, Sep 06, 1998 at 11:08:29AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I think the real problem is that "set_intr_gate()" really should just know
> about the F0 0F bug, and be able to insert stuff into the IDT regardless
> of whether the workaround is active or not.

I thought about that too. But when I looked at the assembler stuff of
set_gate() I didn't want mess with it. Is there really a need for doing
it in assembler ? Two wrapper functions unlock_idt() and lock_idt()
around _set_gate should also work, but gives some overhead, which shouldn't
be a problem.

> I'll write at least the basics for that to be possible, and hope that
> somebody with a dual Pentium can do the final details to make it all
> happy..

be my guest.

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)