Re: 2.1.120 breaks PC keyboard

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
6 Sep 1998 18:26:53 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980906182854.13663A-100000@mylly.firmament.fi>,
T Taneli Vahakangas <vahakang@cs.Helsinki.FI> wrote:
>On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Trevor Johnson wrote:
>> I was unable to use a Focus 2001 101-key keyboard attached to a
>> motherboard with an ITE IT8680F-A controller (I had some trouble reading
>> the marking) and Intel VX chip set. After booting, pressing various keys
>> gave no response. The LED for number lock stayed lit, and when I
>> telnetted in to shut down the computer, I noticed that only one interrupt
>> from the keyboard had been recorded in /proc/cpuinfo. I have run other
>> kernels, including pre-2.1.120-2, without this problem. E-mail me for
>> .config.
>
>Do you get "Keyboard Timeout"s in the boot process? I get two of them and
>good-bye keyboard. This just doesn't happen on every boot (fortunately).
>It started with 2.1.120-pre2, I think.

Could you who see this problem try different values for the value of
KBD_INIT_TIMEOUT in pc_keyb.h? That's really the only thing that changed
as far as I can tell: the new code does not rely on the timer interrupt
any more, and maybe the timeout is too short..

The other thing that changed is when the PS/2 mouse driver tells the
system that it is accepting mouse interrupts, but that shouldn't make
any difference.

So I'd like people who see this try:
- increase the timeouts in pc_keyb.h. It may just be that.
- if that doesn't work, revert the changes in 2.1.120 to pc_keyb.[ch]
- if that doesn't work, rever the changes in 2.1.120 to psaux.c

and please tell me what happens. The PS/2 mouse changes are definitely
needed on some machines, but maybe they need to be done differently (the
problem is that both the PS/2 mouse and the keyboard really use the same
controller, and I suspect the drivers should be integrated more than
they are now to fix the basic problem).

Oh, and please tell me whether you have "kbd-reset" in your kernel
command line or not..

Thanks,
Linus