Re: patch for NFS rename -- please test!

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 14:17:20 -0400

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> The 'ddd' debugger front-end now works correctly when saving its session
> files to an NFS-mounted directory. I have seen no other ill effects.
>
> Thanks for fixing this!

Good, glad to hear it's fixed.

> On another matter, while exporting mounts with wildcards does nominally
> work, big problems occur if the server is restarted after clients have
> established a mount based upon such permissions. I believe the problem
> stems from the client not appearing specifically in the xtab file. The
> only way I can recover is to explicitly create an export entry for that
> client after restart - which sort of defeats the whole point behind
> wildcards..
>
> Is there any remedy feasible?

I've followed the messages about this problem, but am hoping that it can
be fixed in userland by changing the knfsd mount/export utilities. For
example, could the wildcarding be handled by generating the equivalent
file on the fly?

I'd really rather not make further changes to the knfsd kernel code if
possible.

Regards,
Bill