Re: linux/Makefile: CONFIG_SHELL and SHELL

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 22:04:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Clifford Wolf wrote:

> I attached a patch which fixes the broken Makefiles. I don't know if we
> use bash features - makeing the suggestion that /bin/sh is bash -
> somewhere else in the kernel too.

Why not fix "make" instead to either handle the shell extensions or at
least notice that it doesn't know about some new meta-characters. As far
as I know (but yes, I'm too lazy to try to find the standard), the brace
expansion is part of the POSIX shell standard, and if make can't handle it
then make is very arguably broken.

Linus