Re: OBSOLETE STUFF

dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 09:57:53 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:07:09 -0700 (MST)
> From: dalecki <dalecki@cs.net.pl>
>
> That's exactly my point. ifdef's of this kind never get disabled for the
> so called *stable* kernels... :-(. This is just obvious lazzyness which
> may contribute to the quite widespread oppinnion that linux leaks
> proffesionality.
>
> There's no speed measurable speed hit from the serial debugging code,
> and 1800 bytes in the grand scheme of things is really not all that big.

1800 is actually about 10% of the whole serial driver. Please look at it
in this way.

> Some schools of thought believe that it's important to leave such
> debugging code in, so that if there is a problem in the field, you can
> figure out what's going on and fix the problem that much quicker.
>
> If people think that aesthetically this is ugly, they are of course
> entitled to their own opinion. However, it's clear those people who
> think that this sort of thing is important have looked at commercial
> "professional" software.

I'm earning my money by coding. Point.

> I tend to be more impressed by technical arguments about the quality of
> an OS than "aesthetic issues". Of course, if there are people who only

In this point You are right. I was just reffering to the general
oppinnion. However in my personal view Linux isn't THAT bad ;-).

> understand how to judge an OS based on such aesthetic qualities, I don't
> mind catering to their little obsessions if it doesn't take much
> effort. In this particular case the code has gone through enough
> testing that I'm reasonably certain it won't cause a problem, which is
> why I submitted a bug to Linus to disable it by default.

;-))) Ted ted. That was exactly my point. After some time, like years in
this case, the code should be in a state where the debugging code should
be just obsolete and removed. It was just a remainder what I did. And btw.
is't not my obsession it's my hobby :-))))))).

Marcin

PS.
Thank's for the _bug_.