Re: STILL NEEDED PATCH-2.1.107

dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 09:46:23 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > What I will is a kernel with support for sockets but without any other net
> > support no net device no tcp/ip or any other *networking* protocoll/code.
>
> Its about number 850,000 on my list of things to fix. The cases
> NET=n and also NET=y AF_UNIX=m [everything else=n] should compile
> and boot. If someone sends me a patch to fix any oddities in that, that
> doesnt go and implement their personal religion that AF_UNIX is outside
> of CONFIG_NET, I might look at it

Ehm. My english is bad but not as bad that I don't understand the irony
beneath this statment :-). My religion is RK and nothing else ;-))). I
took mainly CONFIG_UNIX out of the networking configuration stuff, becouse
there is a mess out of what CONFIG_NET is used for and anyway this seemed
for me to be the most direct and least intrusive way for fixing it. In my
oppinnion the ideal would be to split CONFIG_NET in CONFIG_SOCK and a true
CONFIG_NET_PROTO or therelike. This would better reflect what those
configuration options are really used for. CONFIG_UNIX is in any case a
missnomer.

And still please beleve me I'm really quite sure there are more Linux
boxes in use which are don't connected to the NET then those which are;
iesp. here in Europe where the telephony isn't that cheap. I just don't
see the point in compiling the whole not that small TCP/IP stuff in into a
kernel used on such a box.

If You give your OK I'm of cousre able to provide the requested patch
against some original Linus source. (I don't look at the CVS tree).

Marcin