Re: keyboard raw mode?

Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech-lists@twilight.ucw.cz)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:27:08 +0200

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 04:58:53AM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> a solution: add a /dev/keyboard for that purpose. restrict its use to
> local users, under the same scheme as one would do for /dev/audio; this
> permission scheme is probably userland, but the idea of a /dev/keyboard
> is not. As I see it, /dev/tty0 would be reading from /dev/keyboard to get
> its info, and then pass it along to the proper /dev/tty[1-9]...

Now this sounds very interesting to me. I'd like to add a device like this,
which would output raw keystrokes/releases, with timestamps & stuff,
like my current joystick driver does. It could even share most of the
routines with the joystick driver.

I'm willing to write such a driver (it's not too much code, just glue between
keyboard.c and joystick.c), if it isn't complete nonsense. I believe it
is not. Any opinions?

> all other things i've done are palette reconfiguration scripts, clumsy
> patches to the joystick.o driver (to enable the two extra buttons when the
> two extra pots don't exist), and a joystick-to-mouse converter that sucks.

As a joystick driver maintainer, I'm interested in any joystick hacks for
Linux that have been done ... including these. The 4-button one is probably
obsoleted by the 1.0+ drivers, but the joystick-to-mouse thingy sounds
interesting. Would it be possible for me to take a look at it? There already
is a nice joy2key utility by Peter Amstutz, so a joy2mouse utility would
fit nicely into the collection.

Vojtech