Re: Callout Ports

Fabien Ninoles (fabien@master.debian.org)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:26:00 -0500

On Mon, Jun 22, 1998 at 06:54:56PM -0400, Chad C Giffin wrote:

> It has been brought to my attention by the debian group that universal
> asynchronous callout ports are being removed from the kernel.
>
> Could someone confirm this and explain why?
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Chad C Giffin

I good explanation in the June 98 issue of Linux Journal. In Understanding
/dev, Preston F. Crow (he, pretty cool name ;) add a column about Serial
Port Device and why callout device became obsolete. Lots of people used
ttyS for both incoming and outgoing communication but only lock the
ttyS device and not it's cua counter part. Removing cua will just make it
less confused. Callout device are just there for historical compatibility.

A pointer to some mailing list archive are also give:
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9607.0/0363.html

Hope this help.