Re: (reiserfs) dynamic stat data (was Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability)

Myrdraal (myrdraal@jackalz.dyn.ml.org)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:23:54 -0400

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 12:05:47PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
Hi,
> On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 23:59:31 -0700, Hans Reiser <reiser@ricochet.net> said:
> > It would be nice to say cat /usr/local/bin/xemacs/version and get the
> > version of the xemacs installed, say /usr/local/bin/xemacs/ACL and get
> > the ACLs on xemacs, say /usr/local/bin/xemacs/owner and get the
> > traditional file stat_data field of owner, but still say
> > /usr/local/bin/xemacs to run xemacs by referencing the file body
> > (which can be thought of as the default file of the directory xemacs.)
> I'd have to disagree. This would be neat if we were designing a brand
> new operating system, but such munging of the namespace is just so
> non-Unix that I'd hate to see us doing that in Linux.
> [snip]
Just a thought; if there was a way for userspace to get that data, the
shell could do that sort of munging for people who wanted that, right?
-Myrdraal