Re: DMA problem?

A. Wik (aw@mail1.bet1.puv.fi)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:19:16 +0000

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) wrote:

> > > Sounds like the board is a dud to me. DMA works on my SiS5598
> >
> > I exchanged the board and replaced it -- the new board behaves in much the same
> > way.
> >
> > (BTW, I looked again, and the chipset is evidently an SiS5595. Whoops. :)
>
> If the IDE DMA locks up then if its not the ram and a board change doesnt
> fix it I think I'd be looking for an alternative vendor right now

For a period of time I had an Asus board with a SiS5513-chipset. Bus-master
DMA only worked with DOS/Win95 w/ special drivers.

My current DataExpert-8551 board with a Triton FX-chipset only seems to handle
DMA on the primary IDE, so it's not a SiS-only problem. I get the
"hdc: timeout waiting for DMA"-message every time I boot. (hdc is a recently-
acquired 8 GB Quantum disk)