Re: ext2 fs not properly updated upon dismount.

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:15:39 -0500

Michael L. Galbraith wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> > > Confirmed - I tried this with 2.1.106-ac2 and I got filesystem errors, after
> > > cleanly shutting down the system. I believe this should not happen under any
> > > circumstances? I have never aborted a filesystem check if one was forced.
> > >
> > > Ganesh
> > > --
> > Thanks for the confirmation. I think there is a "small" problem that
> > will lead to "creeping" file-system corruption. It may be very hard to
> > find, so in the meantime, one could 'force' a complete fsck upon bootup
> > so problems don't exponentiate.
> >

> Hmm! Interesting... I just did it, and encountered 0 errors. There may
> be some configuration commonality in failing systems?
>
> - 2.1.106-ac2
> - bash 2.02.0(2)
> - fsck version 1.12-WIP (26-Feb-98)
> - init-2.74-1
>
> -Mike

I would agree with Mike that there must be some commonality in the
failing
systems. I have repeated the test again today on the same system
outlined in
my previous message, and I have no ext2 errors.

I would be happy to collect detailed system configurations of both
working
and non-working systems. Detail I would like to collect is outlined
below:

1. Motherboard/main board vendor, type, model
2. Total RAM
3. Initial Linux Distribution installed
4. all ISA & PCI cards installed vendor, type, model
5. .config files
6. Disk partitions of all hard drives.
7. Optional hard drive vendor, type, and model

That should do for a start.

>From collected data I will build an equipment matrix of working
and non-working systems. Hopefully this would provide a clue as to
what the differences are and why one works and one does not.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt and all the milk has turned and Captain Crunch is waving farewell when the Big One finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell ==Breakfast==Newsboys