Re: 2.1.10[56] parallel port problems - starts with 2.1.104

Henrik Storner (storner@image.dk)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:34:18 +0200

Hi Andrea and Derrik,

thanks for responding to my problems with the 2.1.104 parport update.
I've done some more testing, and if I reverse ONLY the 2.1.104 update
for drivers/char/lp.c, the problem goes away. So that seems to be the
root of the problem.

Andrea wrote:

> The parport patch 104 should be my work, it fix the printing for another
> guy that has problems with ECP dma. Today I am very busy (I had to replace
> a broken HD in a server at the ISP of my city where I work) then I' ll
> try to fix your problem but I need your help for the testing.

Of course - just tell me what you want me to do.

> At first I need to understand if your parallel port need a write in the
> ECR register and if it need 0xc as value.
>
> So please reverse the 104 patch and replace parport_write_econtrol(...,
> 0xc) with parport_write_econtrol(..., 0x0) in probe_one_port if I remember
> well (I have no code here).

Hmm - I don't quite understand. I cannot find that code in the patch or
the driver (looking in the 2.1.104 patch and sources). Could you please
tell me what file this is in ?

> > The parallel port is built into the motherboard, an FIC PA-2007 using
> > the VIA VP2 chipset. The BIOS setup of the parallel port is
> > * I/O port 0x378, IRQ 7
> > * EPP/SPP mode
> > * EPP type 1.9

Derrik Pates suggested that I try EPP mode 1.7, or plain bi-directional
mode in the BIOS setup. I suppose that is what I get when I set the
BIOS setup to "SPP" (Standard Par. Port) ? This does not make any
difference - the problem still exists.

> The parport patches should make no differences since with EPP mode the ECR
> register should not exists (and so writing to it should be a nosense).
> Also I use EPP in my parallel port and works like a charm.
>
> Can you show me a `cat /proc/parport/0/*`?

Sure:

/proc/parport/0/devices:
lp

/proc/parport/0/hardware:
base: 0x378
irq: none
dma: none
modes: SPP,PS2,EPP

/proc/parport/0/irq:
none

--
Henrik Storner  |  "testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good,