Re: 2.1.106 compile problem (coda / sysctl)

Clifford Wolf (clifford@clifford.at)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:04:56 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:

> I got hte same thing. Mine compiled when I de-selected the coda
> filesystem.
>
> Robert
>
> Thus spake hays@blkspider.com (hays@blkspider.com):
>
> > Anyone know what this means and how I could fix it?
> >
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
> > ld -m elf_i386 -T /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/vmlinux.lds -e stext
> > -o vmlinux
> > fs/filesystems.a(proc.o)(.data+0x3dc): multiple definition of
> > `proc_sys_root'
> > fs/filesystems.a(coda.o)(.data+0x40): first defined here
> > make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Hi Robert,

i sent allready a bug report about this to the linux kernel mailing list
a few days ago.

The problem is that the coda filesystem *and* sysctl selected is. If this
is the case the proc filesystem tries tries to register a /proc/sys/
directory and the coda filesystem does to - the only real problem with
this is that they use the same name for the proc_dir_entry structure.

There are two possibilities to solve the problem:

1.) registering the /proc/sys/ node from inside of linux/fs/proc/root.c in
any case (independed on CONFIG_SYSCTL) or at least defineing the data
structure.

2.) makeing /proc/sys/coda/ depended on CONFIG_SYSCTL (and useing the
dirent registered from proc_fs).

- clifford

PS: It's in the competence of the maintainers of proc_fs and coda_fs to
make the needed changes - that's why send this mail as CC to this people
(i hope that i sent it to the right persons). Sorry if I waste your time
with sending you information you allready know.

Clifford Wolf
magnet - Internet at Work IRC: efnet / clifford
Director of System Development http://www.clifford.at/
e-mail: c.wolf@magnet.at email: god@clifford.at