Re: Odd semi-freeze

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 18:08:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, James Michael Mastros wrote:

> The oddest thing just happened to me -- During boot, right after the
> "starting sendmail: sendmail" line printed by the boot-sequence, my system
> apparently hung for nearly a minute. During this time, no process showed up

It didn't. The sendmail has hung, yes. The whole system
however didn't hang. If you modify your startup scripts
to start a bash on /dev/tty63, you can go there (alt <-)
and see what the system is doing.
The apm_idle is because the system has nothing to do
while sendmail times out on some network lookup...

Rik.