Re: ext2 fs not properly updated upon dismount.

Michael L. Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:27:48 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:15:42 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:
> > >
> > >And I think __everybody__ has such problems with versions above 2.1.102
> > >(or thereabouts), but they don't notice it because a complete fsck isn't
> > >done if the file-system has been dismounted proberly.
> > >
> > >To check, boot with init=/bin/bash.
> > >
> > >Then fsck -f /
> >

> > Confirmed - I tried this with 2.1.106-ac2 and I got filesystem errors, after
> > cleanly shutting down the system. I believe this should not happen under any
> > circumstances? I have never aborted a filesystem check if one was forced.
> >
> > Ganesh
> > --
> Thanks for the confirmation. I think there is a "small" problem that
> will lead to "creeping" file-system corruption. It may be very hard to
> find, so in the meantime, one could 'force' a complete fsck upon bootup
> so problems don't exponentiate.

Hmm! Interesting... I just did it, and encountered 0 errors. There may
be some configuration commonality in failing systems?

- 2.1.106-ac2
- bash 2.02.0(2)
- fsck version 1.12-WIP (26-Feb-98)
- init-2.74-1