Re: unlink aggressively robs resources

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:22:21 +0200 (CEST)

On 17 Jun 1998, Anders Melchiorsen wrote:
> Rik van Riel <H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl> writes:

> > No you won't. Kflushd will push the data to disk, but in a
> > more controlled fashion than update(8) did...
>
> What do you mean by "more controlled"? Do you suggest that it is
> actually better to run without update?

Update(8) will flush the data in large chunks, everything
every 30 seconds. Kflushd can be carefully tuned to take
into account the age of every buffer -- data and metadata
separately --, the load it will place on the I/O system
and the amount of buffers it needs to free.

It's behaviour can be tuned via /proc/sys/vm/bdflush, and
there's even a manual in linux/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt.

Rik.