Re: bzip2 compression of kernel or initial ramdisk?

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Sat, 30 May 1998 18:15:59 +0200

On May 29, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Fri, 29 May 1998, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> > I am not sure what is meant by "gzip can be used in place."
>
> With gzip, you can malloc a piece of memory the size of the uncompressed image
> and load the compressed image there. You don't need to do
> malloc(uncompressed_size) and malloc(compressed_size).

and bzip2 needs even more memory to uncompress! from `man bzip2'

Decompression: 100k + ( 5 x block size ), or
100k + ( 2.5 x block size )

so you'd need at least 350k (with 2.5 x block size because of option --small)
for `-1' compression and 2350k for a '-9' kernel image!

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\