Re: signal delivery

Richard Henderson (rth@dot.cygnus.com)
Sun, 24 May 1998 23:46:06 -0700

On Sun, May 24, 1998 at 12:40:22PM +0530, Navneet Yadav wrote:
> i had a doubt about signal delivery under LINUX. assume that a
> process sends a signal to itself using the kill() or sigsend() call.
> is it guaranteed that the signal will be delivered and handled before the
> kill()/sigsend() call itself returns?

If the signal is not blocked, yes it will be.

> is this OS dependent or is the
> behaviour specified by any standard (POSIX ?).

It is unspecified.

> also is the sigsend() call POSIX ? it exists on solaris/dunix/hpux
> but not on linux. its also doesn't seem to be present in glibc.

Is is not. Nor is it part of any other standard that I could find.

There is a sigqueue defined by POSIX.1b, but that's rather different.
I'd never heard of sigsend; I suppose it has occasionally nice features.
I've no idea if they are interesting enough to bother with though.

r~