Re: 2.1.98 link freezes --> 2.1.99 machine locks up

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Sun, 3 May 1998 19:24:22 -0700

From: "Adam J. Richter" <adam@yggdrasil.com>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 19:22:10 -0700

David S. Miller <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com> writes:
>There has been a lot of activity in the Intel/SMP kernel changes area,
>in particular with interrupt handling and the like, let's make sure
>this is not where you are getting bit before we consider it a
>networking issue for now ok?

I rebuilt the kernel without SMP and was able to recreate the problem.

Ok, plan B then:

1) Are you using the tulip.o driver in the 2.1.{99,100} tree or
the "Becker driver release of the day"? If the later, please
try with the driver in the tree as that is what I am testing
in all my machines.

2) Barring that, and since you can reproduce it easily, run tcpdump
on the same subnet as the machine which locks up, have it just
listen to packets to/from this test machine, once it locks, send
the tcpdump log to me.

It should be trackable soon enough.

Later,
David S. Miller