Re: Shouldn't SMP be an option?

Erik Andersen (andersee@debian.org)
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 10:53:24 -0700

On Sat, Apr 04, 1998 at 03:28:22AM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980404005435.4197A-100000@hell.whitepeaks.es>
> By author: ranty@soon.com
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > It's ok for a development kernel to make you edit de Makefile
> > by hand, but if it is becoming stable I thing SMP shoud be an option
> > in "make config/menuconfig/xconfig"
> >
> > Thanks for listening
> >
> > A linux adict
> >

> This was originally the case, but it caused any configuration changes
> to cause too much of the kernel to be reconfigured. What it'd really
> take to fix is for someone to go through and change all
> #include <linux/config.h> use the new smartconfig stuff.
>
> -hpa

Well. It turns out that about 98% of this work is already done. See

ftp://ftp.shout.net/pub/users/mec/patch/

This patch makes CONFIG_SMP a real configuration option, complete with
documentation. Michael Chastain, who made this patch, has been offline
for a couple of weeks because he is moving, so I think that if this is
going to go in before 2.2, somebody will probably need to adopt it and
finish anything that isn't done yet.

It would be great to get this into the main kernel!

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org