Re: 2.1.91: VM: Found a writable swap-cached page!

BlueFlux (blueflux@technologist.com)
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:20:55 +0200 (MET DST)

This has happened to me twice i think, just a bit worse. My config is 20
megs ram, cyrix 586, 20 megs swap. First time i was reading mails(pine
3.96) and i also had 3 bash's running.

Suddenly while switching mail, it frenzied on me. The hdd started to
swap(i assume), all i could do was to switch consoles, so i did that and
tried to type in 'free' to see the memory however nothing happened. I went
away to eat and came back 30 minutes later and saw the f being printed
from the command free. So i let it be like it was and went out for school
and came back 5-6 hours later and it was _still_ swapping like a mad. all
of the free command was now printed but the command was still not
finished. So i did an hard reset of the computer and it was back to
normal. (btw, total uptime was something like 2 days then).

The second time was once again while running pine, this time i was also
running 2 BitchX(74p2) in two other consoles. I recognised the pattern of
the loading so i did a hard reset after some 4 minutes this time.

Theres no logs of whats happening, no oopses, no nothing. All i can say is
that this system worked perfectly before on kernel 2.1.90 and that is the
only upgrade i've done in the last 1 week or so.

(on a sidenote, soundblaster support seems broken to me, but i dont know
as i havent looked at it so much yet)

http://blueflux.home.ml.org
* Linux Viruscan.....
Windows 95 Found Remove it ? (Y/y)