Re: GGI and cli/sti in X

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:23:30 -0800 (PST)

On 27 Mar 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <19980327143347.53007@Elf.mj.gts.cz>,
> Pavel Machek <pavel@elf.ucw.cz> wrote:
> >
> >Do this for me: Limit your mem to 16Meg, make your machine swap a
> >bit. Now switch consoles from/into X and do it fast. Be creative and
> >you'll see complete freeze or at least complete mess-up of video.
>
> May I suggest you consider the fact that you may have a buggy video card
> that freezes the bus when it gets overloaded? At which point the whole
> system is dead - not the kernel, but the _hardware_ is dead and needs a
> reboot.

I hate to disagree with you but, I've had this problem on 2 diffrent
pci cards and an isa. Everything else works and thankfully so does
telnet (if I get to it before somone hits the reset button that is)
ATI mach64 and S3 chpsets arn't excatly rare either.

> Yes, it has happened a lot, although it is getting rarer. It used to
> happen even more back when we had that wonderful VLB thing that is
> finally not really an issue any more.

Tell that to my computer.
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack
gmack@imag.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.