Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Mark H. Wood (mwood@mhw.OIT.IUPUI.EDU)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:26:52 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
> > > I'm not crying about that...
> >
> > You will be, because of the "Windows 98" video cards that don't
> > have standard text mode support. I'm serious about that. The free
> > text console is going to be gone in a few years. Then what?
> > Would you like to see boot messages?
>
> Look at linux source, see drivers/video. We already do this on
> amiga/sparc.

IIRC, the VAXstation 3100 text-mode console was done in software (taped
to the side of the console microcode or some such hack). It was horrible
and slow, and nobody in his right mind would use it for boot messages,
but something like that would be good enough to get the machine up on its
legs and able to load something more sophisticated (or explain why it
didn't load)-: .

One more time:  a (level-2) switch is a bridge.  A "level-3 switch" is
a router.  Deal with it.