Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
26 Mar 1998 19:48:06 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.980327005813.481I-100000@localhost>,
Marek Habersack <grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl> wrote:
>On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>> Interesting...
>Phew!
>
>> > Sorry, I don't buy it. The BIOS requires textmode to boot and
>> > run setup.
>>
>> That is _your_ BIOS. In case you haven't noticed, some BIOS setup
>> programs already run in graphics mode, with a mouse even. That's
>> not even counting Compaq, with BIOS setup done through Windows.
>And you think it's so wonderful? I do prefer the usual textmode BIOS interface
>which is fast and efficient. And Windoze-based BIOS/monitor (like Phillips
>Brilliance)/Printer setup programs are a sick idea IMHO!
>
>> No, this is real. You might get a really slow software emulation,
>> like the console of a Sun workstation. SPARC Linux bypasses that
>> because it is too damn slow for real work.
>What are you talking about? PCs have always had a text mode and it worked
>good. So I see no reason why would it disappear!

Who uses it?

Netware and Linux, that's who. Windows only uses text mode for
bootup and full-screen dos emulation.

If text mode makes the card more expensive (like, say, UARTS in
modems, or rendering engines in printers), you can rest assured
that most vendors will convert to graphic-only display adaptors
as fast as their stubby little feet will go.

____
david parsons \bi/ 80523/233, 198mb core, ViRGE/VX, text mode.
\/