Re: GGI and cli/sti in X

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at)
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 00:20:10 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Kyle Cronan wrote:

> > > I've _never_ had an X bug cause video problems or a crash,
> > > and I've been using Linux and X for more than a couple years.
> >
> > Do this for me: Limit your mem to 16Meg, make your machine swap a
> > bit. Now switch consoles from/into X and do it fast. Be creative and
> > you'll see complete freeze or at least complete mess-up of video.
> >
> > Pavel
>
> I tried this on my machine, which is a 486 (ghasp!), with memory limited
> to 8 MB. I started a compile (of binutils), then started X, started
> consoles and there was needless to say a lot of swapping, but no matter
> how fast I switched VCs the machine didn't crash. I probably switched
> back and forth from X to console at least fifty times while netscape was
> actually got faster as I did it more and more. At the end I killed -9 the
> X server, no problems.
You killed it on a text console, or in the Xserver. I assume that you
killed it on a text console, where this is the normal behaviour. (The
X server restored textmode when you switched away, and kill -9 doesn't
give it time to do something sneaky anymore :) ).
Try this from on xterm in the Xserver *g*

> I have a Western Digital WD90C24 graphics adapter, and granted it was not
> in high res. Although it's quite possible this is a unique case, perhaps
> the problems with X crashing could more easily be solved by just fixing
> the bugs in the X server code which has problems, because mine definately
> doesn't have those problems.
Again. kill -9 the the server from inside X.

> Also, I was impressed by the fact that in 8MB ram and 20 MB swap, while I
> was compiling and such, netscape still loaded after several minutes, and
> the machine, although it's only a 486, was still decently fast. This was
> in 2.0.33--I think I'll try it in 2.1.90 for comparison.
Yeah, I know, it's incredible how well linux handles resources :)

Andreas