Re: Samba compilation problem with 2.1.8x

Viggo L. Norum (Viggo.L.Norum@imm.ntnu.no)
12 Mar 1998 22:41:47 +0100

Steve Davies (steve@one47.demon.co.uk) writes:

> The file is smbmount.c, and I get messages along the lines of:
> in file included from smb_fs.h
> /usr/include/linux/dirent.h: redefenition of 'struct dirent'
>
> Normally this type of problem is fairly easy to track down, but this time I
> can't find it anywhere !!!

Problem with /usr/include/direntry.h vs. /usr/include/linux/dirent.h ?

I did the same as Steve Davies and several others: I unpacked the
samba-1.9.18p3-50 source, uncommented the line "#MOUNT_PROGS =
smbmount smbmnt smbumount" in the Makefile, ran make and got the same
errors as the others.

System info: samba-1.9.18p3, Red Hat 5.0, Linux kernel 2.1.88

I'm not much of a kernel hacker and "dirent" sounds like something I
definitely should not touch, so I will leave it to others to fix it.
There are also plenty of similar problems after that:

Compiling smbmnt.c
In file included from /usr/include/linux/net.h:21,
from /usr/include/linux/fs.h:15,
from smbmnt.c:30:
/usr/include/linux/socket.h:59: warning: `CMSG_NXTHDR' redefined
/usr/include/socketbits.h:178: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

<....snip 600 hundred lines....>

/usr/include/linux/socket.h:47: redefinition of `struct cmsghdr'
/usr/include/linux/socket.h:89: conflicting types for `__cmsg_nxthdr'
/usr/include/socketbits.h:191: previous declaration of `__cmsg_nxthdr'
make: *** [smbmnt.o] Error 1

Is it just a small problem with a definition which lead to the wrong
header files being included, or is it a major problem with
incompatibilities between the Linux headers and glibc headers?

Help!

--
Viggo