Re: not enough memory

Garst R. Reese (reese@isn.net)
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:55:15 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:

> > Let me guess. Your are using a kernel later than 2.1.67 with sound
> > modules (sb ?)
> > If you are not using any PCMCIA stuff, try pre2.1.90 or wait for a full
(PCMCIA 12-Mar works with minor fix)
> > 2.1.90 and maybe all of Alan's patches will be there:)
>
> Im slowly sending Linus stuff. Note btw sound doesnt leak in its entirety,
> unloading sound.o should release all the remaining memory. Hannu wrote the
> code for a single sound module so his memory tracking doesnt work perfectly
> for the split up modules and Im still fixing it
2.1.90-2 works just fine for me. I had tried unloading sound.o and
everthing else I could think of, and it still did not release memory.
The people that had real problems were those automatically loading the
modules and playing sounds comming at them from netscape. All mem got
eaten pretty fast.
Anyway, Thanks and Kudos to Alan, Bill, T. Sailer, D.Hinds, Scott C. and
oh yeah, Linus
--
Garst