Re: kmod/kerneld

Jon Evans (jon@evansoft.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 22:56:17 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Garst R. Reese wrote:

> What do I do with /sbin/kerneld.
> At present, my rc.S script tests for its presence, and does things if it
> is present.
> My backup boot is 2.0.33 via dos and lodlin, so I can't just get rid of
> it.

Well, I've just hacked it up like this in my rc.S:

(we just tested filesystem status etc.)

---cut---8<---cut---

# Run depmod to compute new module dependancies
if [ -x /sbin/depmod ] ; then
/sbin/depmod -a
fi

# Start kerneld, if linux version < 2.1.90 where we changed to kmod
#First we make sure that /proc is mounted
/sbin/mount -avt proc

if [ -x /sbin/kerneld ] ; then
if [ ! -f /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe ] ; then
/sbin/kerneld
fi
fi

---cut---8<---cut---

A quick hack but it seems to work. You get a harmless error further down
in the script where we mount all local drives and /proc is already
mounted.

Jon.

--
Jon Evans <jon@evansoft.demon.co.uk>