Re: SPAM on linux-kernel (was Re: Forwarded mail....)

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 17:30:57 +0100 (CET)

On 10 Mar 1998, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> SM> It seems that there's a half-decent way around it:
>
> Except that Majordomo doesn't do this. Well, my development version of
> Majordomo2 does something like it, but it is just getting to alpha release
> and while I am content to run non-critical lists with it, I don't think I'd
> trust it to run linux-kernel.
Wouldn't it be possible to employ PGP for the authorization purposes? Everyone
subscibing to the list would have his PGP key signed by the linux-kernel
maintainer (I think this CAN be done automagically with Majordomo) and then
only the postings that are signed with THAT key would be accepted. Of course,
anyone could subscribe to the list just to read the mails - that wouldn't
require PGP, but to post a message one would have to use PGP.
It would be PITA at first, but in the end it would stop spam completely.
Just a thought, but perhaps useful...

l8r, marek

---
Death in the air, strapped in the electric chair
This can't be happening to me! Who made you God to say
"I'll take your life from you!"?
                     -- Metallica "Ride the Lightning"