Re: PATCH: move more functions and data into init memory (2.1.89)

Matthias Hanisch (matze@camline.com)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:24:59 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

> I think that this is a GCC problem, so it should be fixed in GCC, not by
> obfuscating the kernel code. I have some ideas about how to make EGCS understand
> some function attribute setting default section for read-only data (including
> strings), but I still didn't have time to write a patch (I hope I'll have soon).

Ok. I'm looking forward to this feature. In the meantime I make two
divided patches. The first contains the initfunc attributes which can make
into the mainstream kernel immediately and the second one for people like
me with low-memory machines where every free (better: swappable) byte
counts...

Besides maintaining the second patch gives us an idea about which strings
should be made __init when GCC has support for this.

Regards,
Matze

--
Matthias Hanisch    gesch.: matze@camline.com    priv.: matze@pingu.franken.de
                            +49 8137 935-219            +49 8441 82387

"Modell 10 - Software from Experts for Experts"