OFFTOPIC: SPAM on linux-kernel (was Re: Forwarded mail....)

Dominik Kubla (kubla@sundiver.zdv.uni-mainz.de)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 07:37:14 +0100

> This is not an option for those who are downloading their e-mail
> from a POP3 account through PPP: I don't want to download the spams,
> and I can not control myself the POP3 mailbox, so I can not use the
> procmail on the POP3 host to clean the mailbox from spams. No way.

You might not be able to use procmail (i am not sure about this) but
you can filter SPAM anyway: Just setup your MTA to reject SPAMMERS
(eg. based upon their domain) by returning a 55x or 571 error code and
fetchmail will happily delete the mail on the POP/IMAP server without
copying it to your local machine.

> The cookie scheme seems a good idea to clean the list from spammer
> accounts. Of course we should all resubscribe to the list, but this
> is a minor trouble giving the objective of creating a spam-free
> list.

No it is not: spammers are usually not subscribed to the lists they
spam. So the only way to prevent spams is to close the list, which has
been repeatedly rejected for different reasons.

FWIW: This thread has now generated more traffic in the last week than
SPAM received thrugh the list in the last year. Please lets drop it
or use a list devoted to the discussion of listserv administrativa.

Thanks,
Dominik Kubla

--
          A lovely thing to see:                   Kobyashi Issa
     through the paper window's holes               (1763-1828)