Re: SPAM on linux-kernel (was Re: Forwarded mail....)

Thomas Heide Clausen (voop@innocent.com)
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 18:29:00 +0100 (CET)

On 09-Mar-98 Perry Harrington wrote:

>> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, BlueFlux wrote:
>>
>> > Im sorry to bring this to everyones attention, but i think
>> > we have someone
>> > or something on this list giving out unsolicited emails, my
>> > question is if
>> <snip>
>>
>> I've noticed a particular SPAM email has been routed through
>> linux-kernel
>> at least 6 to 8 times now.
>>
>> > Sorry for asking about this but im getting realy pissed at
>> > getting these
>> > emails each time i seem to post to the list. If im wrong
>> > please tell me so
>> > but im pretty sure they come from someone on this list.
>>
>> No doubt, it's really pissing me off too. I've gone after
>> every relay
>> involved so far, though it's probably fruitless because
>> they're different
>> each time. It appears the true source of the messages is
>> UUNet, which
>> means it'll never get dealt with from the outside. If the
>> list is not
>> already closed to subscribers, closing it might help.
>> Failing that, maybe
>> we need a filter that checks each message for an
>> overabundance of the words
>> "marketing" and "bulk email sofware" ;)
>>
>> What comments do the list owners have?
>
> Actually, this message is sent via a compuserve subscriber in
> LA. They run
> this "Bulls Eye" from their home, and have an answering
> machine answer calls.
> I called the number in the message and let them know that I
> did not appreciate
> them sending me UCE, and that they were particularly henious
> because they also
> SPAMmed mailing lists.
>
> --Perry

What happened to good ol' fashioned explosives????? Would be one
less spammer to go....(ohh, well...too much BOFH here. But it's
hella annoying with SPAM.)

Another thing to do - and in spite of some pissed emails from
postmasters I still do it - is to send to postmaster@ all
domains in the header (through which the mail has been relayed
and otherwise). In the hope, that eventually they get so annoyed
that they remove the user or disable relaying from just "any"
machine.

I beleive that it is either that or the explosives...or an
AK47...

- --thomas