Re: Multi-floppy ramdisk support patch

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 07:40:28 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> Currently, you can only populate a ramdisk image with whatever you can
> fit (compressed) onto a single floppy. This little patch allows one to
> populate a ramdisk with a filesystem image of any size (given enough RAM)
> by loading off of multiple floppies, as shown below:

Paul,

Looks like a nice idea! Seeing your post reminds me that I've had
problems with automatic ramdisk sizing in 2.1.x kernels. From my
interpretation of the ramdisk function, shouldn't it be possible to load a
compressed ramdisk image whose final size is > 4096k? Every time I've
tried this, the kernel complains about "Bad sectors" in the expanded data
(amusing message for a ramdisk, no?) and bombs.

Backing down on the uncompressed size cured the problem, but really
shouldn't be necesary. Have you seen this effect during test of your
multi-disk filesystems?

Steve