Re: [Q] (possible offtopic) - /proc/loadavg

Joe Fouche (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:07:03 -0500 (EST)

It's the average number of processes in the run queue (as you said).

This means it's the number of processes that are fighting for the cpu..
Thus it's tells you how many processes arn't getting cpu time.. So if you
are not SMP a load avg of 1 says your cpu is completely in use and as it
increases it's telling you that your system is becoming bogged down..