Re: Clue on 2.0.33 crashes

Jos Vos (jos@xos.nl)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:59:48 +0100

Thomas Schenk wrote:

> And I would add that we have found that prior to every freeze that our
> systems have experienced under 2.0.33, we find a syslog message from xntpd
> as follows:
>
> Feb 11 09:18:46 acme xntpd[151]: kernel pll status change 89
>
> These messages do not occur immediately prior to the crash, but we have
> theorized that this status change is a precursor to the lockup and the
> number of lockups that we have seen has been greatly reduced since we
> stopped using xntpd and started using ntpdate with the -b option in a
> cron job to sync the clocks.

Hmmm, yes, we also have these message every time when xntpd says to be
synchronized but without doing a time step. Although we have frequent
mysterious system lockups, I can't find a relation with this (in time).

What is interesting, of course, is whether all people getting these
lockups also run xntpd.

Another thing (because multicasting is mentioned): do all people
with the lockups run gated (I do...)?

-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364
-- Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Fax: +31 20 6948204