Re: New Feature Idea: Compress swap file

Peter T. Waltenberg (peterw@karaka.chch.cri.nz)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:38:15 +1300 (NZDT)

There's also the problem of mapping between swapped pages on disk and in
memory. At the moment it's 4k in mem<->4k on disk, working out where the
pages are going to and coming from is trivial and there's no real chance
of fragmenting the swap space.

If we compress, the pages on disk are variable sized, once you've paged
in and out a few hundred times we could easilly fragment the swap space to
hell :).

Then what ?, stall while we defragment the swap space.

Keep it simple.

Peter

E-Mail: P.Waltenberg@irl.cri.nz
Date: 20-Feb-98